In 342 AD, Emperor Constantine ordered the construction of the first basilica, which was to have St Peter’s tomb as the centrepiece of its structure. Until the early 1300s, pilgrims from all over Europe came to this basilica to venerate the tomb. In the meantime, the Basilica, which was already more than 1000 years old, began to have structural and conservation problems and in 1547 Pope Paul III commissioned Micheangelo to carry out a project to build a new temple. After Micheangelo’s death, the architect Carlo Maderno (as well as others such as Bramante and Carlo Fontana) continued the project, giving the Basilica its Latin cross shape.
Useful information:
Admission is free.
Note: Dress appropriately for the place of prayer
Hours
1 October to 31 March: 7am to 6.30pm
1 April to 30 September: 7am to 7pm
Masses
Daily Masses 8.30am with a homily in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, which is available for adoration until 4.45pm, when there is a Eucharistic blessing.